Monday, March 9, 2009

Learning To Be Frugal

Learning to be more frugal can be tough at times, but recently I have had a bit of success with roasts. Our local store had them 'buy 1, get 1 free' so for the price of 18.00 I got 2 very nice beef roasts. Into the freezer went one, and the other found itself simmering with onion in my crock all day. This afternoon, I added potato and carrots. I sliced part of the roast, reserving the other half, and we had a very filling dinner. The other half I split into 2 sections and cut into small pieces. Part went with the leftover potatoes and carrots into a roux with a little seasoning for beef stew later on this week. The rest went back into the crock with 2 bags of frozen veggies, beef stock, chicken flavoring pack, more herbs and spices and will become 5 lunch sized portions for DH to take to work. I did this with the last roast I bought and it worked out well. 18.00 divided by meals for 12 equals 1.50 per meal. I say..can't beat that!
I did a big pot of chili make the same way over the weekend. BG and I ate from it one night, I have some in fridge for the 3 of us for dinner this week, and 4 lunch containers for DH. Gotta love a man that prefers to take homemade meals!

No comments: